January 07, 2012

D's adapting well

D's big day was finally here. I was more excited than D about his first day of school. His first day went well on 3 Jan (2012). He hardly cried though he was looking around the unfamiliar surroundings for me. My heart sank as I watched my little lost boy from afar. The teacher gave us a school tour towards the end of the class and that was when D started crying. We entered a language room, kinda small and dimly-lit. D started crying since then til we headed home.

Thinking that D handled his first day pretty well, I left shortly after dropping him off, notifying his teacher that I would be back to join them for story-telling session. Much to my surprise, situation seemed to go downhill from there. Poor D was so terrified when I returned. His eyes were swollen from all the crying. Teacher's assistant told me that he had been crying on and off.

D really hated to go school... He put up quite a resistance about changing into his uniform and cried on the way to school. He cried even louder when we parted. Since 3rd day is the last day that I can be with him, I wanted to stay on til his class finishes. 45 minutes through the lesson, the principal came to me and reassured me that everything's gonna be fine, that I need to let go of D and let the teachers take over fully. Upon hearing that, I braced myself and let her carried D to his classroom while I waited at the hall. Through D's teary eyes, I could tell he was so glad to see me after his lesson ended. That night, he woke up a couple of times, scared, saying "daddy carry! daddy carry!". My heart shattered. D, our little sunshine, always so happy and smiley to other kids and strangers, resisted going to a mini socializing ground for little people? Mr Blockhead and I got worried and wondered it was too early to send him to preschool.

I thought of pulling him out, thinking of what happened that night. But after hearing a kind mommy's side of story, I've decided to give D a month's time to adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment